Thursday, January 28, 2010

It's been just a few days since the team has left and Nick and I and the kids have taken some time to get re-organized. Yesterday we met with Timothy Zimba, our country director, and Lawrence Benedicto, our village coordinator. We had a lengthy meeting discussing the progress over the year. As we met, it became clearer and clearer just how remarkable God's timing is. Timothy told us that because INVEST now has completed all of the required registration that Nick and I can apply for Temporary Employment Permits which will give us the ability to live in Malawi for at least three years without renewal. It was so cool to hear all of this just as we had submitted Nick's naturalization papers in the States which in about 4-5 months will grant him citizenship and the ability to live abroad as long as he likes and travel back to the US whenever we want. Just the thought of all of this coming together within the upcoming year is exciting!

Then Nick, Lawrence and I went out to the village to see the land Lawrence owns and where he hopes to build his home someday. Along the way they decided that they needed to stop at the local market stand that not only sells goat right there – cuts it right off the bone, weighs out whatever quantity you want, but also fries it up for you in the hottest grease that kills whatever could have gotten on it from hanging there all day. It was really fun to watch Lawrence and Nick bond over eating fried goat – on a toothpick, dipped in salt. It was definitely team-building at its best.

Once we toured Lawrence’s land, we headed back to the Resource Center to sort out the last of the clothes that needed to be given to the kids that didn’t go to camp. We also arranged for Tamandani to come into town and have a sleepover with Jana Kay on Friday night.

Following the camping trip to the lake, Irene has been staying with Nick and I and the kids. From a distance, Nick and I always noted that she was sharp, but having her with us day in and day out has really opened our eyes to just how clever and determined she really is. We’ve been working on conversational English, some book reports, and then she’s been working on the computer labeling all of the pictures of the kids from when they got their gifts and when we were at the lake. I showed her how to do it one time, and off she went. I just stood there in awe! Of course, she is also having fun watching season 3 of Friends.

The kids continue to bask in having so much freedom. When we were at the Baptist Flats, they pretty much had the run of the place inside the compound. And, now we are at the huts at African Bible College (the Baptist Flats now have a limit on how long you can stay) and they love being able to swim daily, play on the playground, and walk past the gym where “daddy played basketball in college”. It’s really fun to share the place that brought Nick and I together with them.

Nick is loving being in Africa as the African Cup of Nations is being played in Angola. Tonight is the semi-finals, and if I am not mistaken, Ghana, Egypt, Nigeria, and of course right now I can’t remember the other team, but I do know that it is a North African team. Malawi did pretty well early on in the tournament, as did Zambia. Needless to say, Nick and his college friends are having a great time together watching all of the games.

I spent much of this afternoon in town getting groceries – four stores and still I didn’t find everything on my list, but after the traffic and the heat – I had had enough and headed for home.

I must say I have been a little apprehensive – as I watch Nick spend time with all of his friends, I find that most of mine have moved on from Malawi. So I’ve really been praying about this – Lord show me some of the people that will be in my life when we do come here. And, faithfully as ever, I am meeting the dearest, sweetest women – sometimes at the pool, actually a lot at the pool with the kids, sometimes in the store, and often at the park with the kids. Thankful again at how God longs to meet our needs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bethany - it is great to see that you are doing well and adjusting to having us gone and meeting new people. I will continue to pray for you and Invest, Inc. and glad to see God is supplying you with your need. I am excited about the temporary permits - yeah!!!

Katie said...

I've been thinking of you. It sounds like you're having a wonderful, exciting, and exhausting time. :) Hope you aren't too lonely for friends there. Sending big hugs from afar...